Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Hound of the Baskervilles - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Title: The Hound of the Baskervilles
Author: Arthur Conan Doyle
Pages: 213
Published: 2008 (first published 1902)
Challenges: 2012 Support Your Library
Genre: Mystery
Edition: Paperback
Source: Library

Description: Holmes and Watson are faced with their most terrifying case yet. The legend of the devil-beast that haunts the moors around the Baskerville families home warns the descendants of that ancient clan never to venture out in those dark hours when the power of evil is exalted. Now, the most recent Baskerville, Sir Charles, is dead and the footprints of a giant hound have been found near his body. Will the new heir meet the same fate? (via Goodreads)


Thoughts: This seemed to be a book that I seemed to read through fits and stages and finally was able to get myself to read the final bit this past weekend.  While I found that book to be ramble at times, I found that the last few chapters of the book is what made the book for me.  The story was clever in that one didn't get the full story until the final chapter, which sometimes I find is lacking in modern mystery books.  I may read this book again due to the fact that this is a book that really needs to be read in a couple of sittings, not over the course of two months.  Read this for my classics club.


Bottom line:  I would recommend the book to those that enjoy classic mysteries, such as Agatha Christie, or just enjoy classic literature on a whole.


Rating: 4.5/5

Pages for 2012: 8437


No comments:

What Strange Paradise - Omar El Akkad

 Title: What Strange Paradise ( Bookshop.org ) Author: Omar El Akkad Published: 2022 (first published 2021) Genre: Fiction, Contemporary, Li...