Thursday, August 7, 2014

The Fault in Our Stars - John Green

Title: The Fault in Our Stars
Author: John Green
Pages: 318
Published: 2014 (first published 2012)
Challenges: I Love Libraries, Blogger Summer Reading
Genre: Fiction, Young Adult, Romance
Edition: Paperback
Source: Library

Description: Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel’s story is about to be completely rewritten. (from Goodreads)

Thoughts: I will admit from the outset that I read this book because a lot of people were reading the book and because there was a lot of praise for the book.  While the book was good in spots and that probably was fairly realistic (I have never battled cancer, although my dad did when I was much younger, but it was never as bad as Hazel's nor Augustus') to what some teens go through while battling cancer, there were times I wanted it to be better.  Maybe it was due to the fact that a lot of people were saying good things about the book and I was hoping that it would be as good for me as it was for them and maybe I was trying to compare it to Eleanor & Park or maybe it was a combination of the two, but for some reason it just didn't click with me.  I found the story to be a bit simplistic at times and found that maybe the two characters could have been written up a bit better.   

Although I would wonder what I would do if an author would just abruptly end a book...

Bottom line: If you are a fan of YA romance books, it would be a book that I would recommend for you to read, if you haven't already read it.  Recommended.

Rating: 3.25/5

Pages for 2014: 10468

If you have read the book, what did you think of it?

No comments:

What Strange Paradise - Omar El Akkad

 Title: What Strange Paradise ( Bookshop.org ) Author: Omar El Akkad Published: 2022 (first published 2021) Genre: Fiction, Contemporary, Li...