Sunday, August 3, 2014

The Hen Who Dreamed She Could Fly - Sun-mi Hwang

Title: The Hen Who Dreamed She Could Fly
Author: Sun-mi Hwang, Kin Chi-Young (translator), Nomoco (illustrator)
Pages: 144
Published 2013
Challenges: I Love Libraries
Genre: Fiction, Fantasy
Edition: Paperback
Source: Library

Description: No longer content to lay eggs on command only to have them carted off to the market, a hen glimpses her future every morning through the barn doors, where the other animals roam free, and comes up with a plan to escape into the wild-- and to hatch an egg of her own.  (via Surrey Libraries)

Thoughts: I wasn't exactly enamoured with the book and had a bit of difficulty getting through the book.  It's not that I don't enjoy reading fables, its just that the meaning is sometimes lost on me and that I have a tendency for me to possibly to read too much into a story, which I possibly did in this instance.  

What I did like was that it was short and was a fairly quick read.  I wasn't particularly moved by the story and it felt like the language was stilted at times.

Bottom line: If you enjoy reading fables, you may enjoy reading the book, but if you aren't a big fan of  the genre, I would probably skip it.  Recommended, but it is skippable.

Rating: 2.75/5

Pages for 2014: 7712

No comments:

What Strange Paradise - Omar El Akkad

 Title: What Strange Paradise ( Bookshop.org ) Author: Omar El Akkad Published: 2022 (first published 2021) Genre: Fiction, Contemporary, Li...