Saturday, April 23, 2016

#Readathon Hour 2 Mini-Challenge: Our Bookish Childhoods



My own top 5 bookish childhood moments:

1) Attempting to read Anne of Green Gables when I was in Grade 3.  I did eventually read the book.

2) The sticker dictionary book I got when I was about 3 or 4.

3) The photo with my mom and I read going over a book when I was about 3 or 4 as my mom was trying to make our Sunday noon meal.  My dad took a photo of the moment.

4) When I was in Grade two, I was still sucking my middle and pointer fingers and my teeth were on the receiving end of that and weren't looking good as a result.  After an orthodontist appointment, my dad took me to White Spot and got me a Pirate Pack.  Because of the device in my mouth, I had to have my burger cut up so I could eat my food.  I seem to have a memory of him taking me to a nearby bookstore and allowing me to choose a book, of which I choose Ramona the Pest.

5) Every Friday during the ski season from the time I was about 11 until I was about 13/14, my dad, me and my sister would head to one of the Vancouver ski slopes and do some Friday night skiing. I would usually bring a book (I rarely go a place without a book on me), hoping to read while we had our dinner break in the lodge.  This particular evening was unique because my sister broke her collar bone due to her ski catching a rut and hitting her up on the collar bone.  As a result, my dad had to take her to emergency at a nearby hospital (thank goodness for universal health care!) and I had to tag along.  Fortunately I had brought a book along with me, just in case I had a chance to read.  The book I had brought along was Jane Eyre, one of the books on my TBR list today.  Because of the long wait (it was about an hour until my sister and dad came out) I had no choice but to read and having no clue as to when they would be back, I started to read the hardcover blue book I had borrowed from the school library and managed to read the first 9 or 10 chapters of the book.  The result was that I fell in love with the book and it became one of my favourites as a result.

No comments:

What Strange Paradise - Omar El Akkad

 Title: What Strange Paradise ( Bookshop.org ) Author: Omar El Akkad Published: 2022 (first published 2021) Genre: Fiction, Contemporary, Li...